Wednesday, March 7, 2012

What is the difference with computer science and software engineering?

I'm a high school student and a computer programmer and looking into different majors that I want to get into. I was going to go for either computer science or software engineering but I'm not sure how each one is different. I want a major focus on programming and software development and I would like it to have a lot of classes related to the major. So can someone explain the difference between the 2 majors and what the coerces are going to be like?What is the difference with computer science and software engineering?It is NOT the same thing.



CS is is the study of the theoretical foundations of information and computation, and of practical techniques for their implementation and application in computer systems.



Software engineering is designing, implementing, and modifying software so that it is of higher quality, more affordable, maintainable, and faster to build.



While they have a lot of cross-over, they are NOT the same thing. Not academically, not professionally.



You want someone to figure out algorithms for computationally intensive problems...CS. You want someone to use engineering principles to create a larger system made up of stuff the CS guys invented... software engineer.What is the difference with computer science and software engineering?When I think of Computer Science, I think of studying the software and hardware aspects of the computer realm. When I think of Software Engineering, I think of simply the software aspect of computers, the development of an application or operating system. Of course, some might argue that you can't truly understand how software is developed without understanding how hardware may influence the software design etc. hence Computer Science.What is the difference with computer science and software engineering?It's the same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment